Wednesday 18 March 2009

Stage Lights

So far I have struggled to find a light source that will produce a collimated beam of light, let alone a square beam of collimated light. I have decided that my next step is to consider stage lights, commonly seen at concerts or the theater. This was an option that I had considered during the starting period of the project, but moved away from in favour of projector, both digital and analogue (overhead). As time is not on my side at this point I think that the best option would be for me to research into lighting companies located in London that I can then go and talk to regarding my problem. I think this will be far more effective then simply blind searching the internet, as although I know what the desired result is, there will be lots of lights that I will not be familiar with, and consequently it will be far more time effective to go straight to professionals within the field. In honesty this is something that I should have done much sooner, instead of focusing on the research behind the project.

As you can imagine there are several stage lighting companies located in London, all of which had a large amount of lights available. I decided to phone around to see who would be willing to allow me to come into the shop/business and test some lights out. Some of the firms were more reluctant than others due to light deterioration and some simply didn’t have a possible solution. Many firms suggested that laser lights would be the best option as laser light travels in straight lines, but I was still under the impression that the light would spread once leaving the source. The other option, that was repeatedly mentioned, was a follow or profile spotlight, often used to highlight a single person whilst on stage.

I eventually found a couple of firms that were willing to let me come in and try out different options in the shop. The first of which, called Clubtek, was located in Beckenham, which although was relatively south of London, was still worth the journey. During the visit I was able to try moving-head lights, profile spots, and follow spots.

Moving head lights:

A moving head is a versatile and multi-function light that was designed to replace multiple conventional, non-moving lights. The main advantage of moving heads is the versatility that they offer, all of which can be controlled via computer programming. The effects can be pre-programmed and played back using only simple commands, changing between effects rapidly.



Although the beam that was produced was very bright and crisp, the beam was too angled, which wouldn't work for the installation as I want the beams to appear collimated.



Follow spot:

A followspow is a powerful stage light, which can be controlled manually to follow actors around the stage. They normally have a several features that can be changed manually, including a focusable lens, an adjustable iris and a manual device that can effect the intensity of the beam.



The beam that was produced by the follow spot was more collimated than the moving head, and was equally bright. The beam was not as sharp as the moving head, but presented a viable option for the project.



Profile spot:

A profile spot works similarly to a follow spot, but the beam is not as powerful or pronounced. It can be used for the same uses, but is not as commonly seen.



The decision was made that laser lights probably wouldn’t be suitable considering the width that I desire from the beam i.e. a solid foot of light, as lasers are generally extremely thin beams unless you get extremely expensive lights.

I was pleased with the results, learning that a follow spot would provide a relatively collimated beam over the distance that I was proposing (7 to 8 feet). The follow spot however was as anticipated cylindrical, and the staff were not aware of any method of producing a square beam. Although this was disappointing the follow spot had other options that could potentially act as interactive system. On the front of the light there was a magazine fitted, that held five colour filters and a metal sheet that could make the light appear to turn on and off.



Although this wasn’t the solution that I had intended to find on the way to the meeting, I left feeling confident that this could form a back-up plan if I cannot find a solution for the original idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment