Sunday 10 May 2009

Where does this project lie?

During the supporting research to this project I considered several similar projects. This allowed me to analyse my work in relation to other work within in the field and deliberate where ‘Illuminate’ stands. One of significant differences between my work and other light projects that I have seen is the level of interaction that is apparent in the piece. I think that it is this feature of my work that extends the exploratory sense surrounding light presented in this way. It is unusual to see light presented in such a manner, appearing solid in its own right, and consequently is something that an audience would like to explore. The level of interaction, which aims to surprise and please the users, further increases the sense of the unknown. As well as providing a exploratory sense the installation appears as art in its own right. I think that even if the project were a still piece it would still be extremely stunning due to colours that have been used. Although I cannot take all of the credit for this, as I had no control over the colours that the lights produce, I think it was a good decision to use the lights within the installation. The installation also promotes experimental art, as it combines uses of an object that can be normally found within the physics realm. The fact that light is not normally presented in this way suggests that the installation sits in a field that questions the normal ideologies of what art can be, and how it can be received.

I can imagine this work to be shown in a similar institution to the science museum, or somewhere that promotes hands on learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment