Tuesday 5 May 2009

Masking off the PIR detectors

Although the PIR detectors were working well during testing, the field of detection was too large, detecting motion from a 120-degree range. In order to have more control over the motion detection, and consequently the interaction behind the project, I decided to mask the sensors to reduce the field of detection. I felt that it was a good idea to have a test run (without the lights set-up) with the PIR detectors secured in place. Although I had an idea of how the PIR detectors would work, I felt that it was necessary to check whilst they were in the correct position, which included securing the platform at the right height, as a change in height would have affected their sight. Whilst concentrating on one sensor at a time I determined through movement where the sensors were detecting, and if this field was too large in terms of where the lights would be positioned, I reduced it with black masking tape.



This was a process of trial and error as the sensors could detect at different distances depending on the height of the movement i.e. if I moved a hand in the air 6 feet from the sensor it wouldn’t detect it, but if it was a foot it would, due to the differences in height.

After some thorough testing I was able to mask of all of the sensors so that they would provide the best possible detection. I had concentrated on at least two sensors being able to see one light at a time, so that it possible to deduce which side of the column the user is located in.

No comments:

Post a Comment