Thursday 14 May 2009

Covering the structure

I had originally planned to paint the underside of the structure, which will provide camouflage for the structure, hopefully allowing it to blend into the black of the surrounding room. I was conscious that if the structure had been presented as it was it would have ruined the effect. The structure was constructed in order to house all of the equipment that will be used within the installation (apart from the haze machine), as it would remove the focus on the technology. The structure also provides a well rounded finish; as it means that there no loose wires, or power cables being run across the floor. This would not have been the same if the structure had remained wooden in appearance.

Since this initial decision to paint the structure was made I have since realize that material would provide a better finish. This decision was made as the structure would have required several coats of paint, which would have been extremely, time consuming, and also because the paint wood not have provide a good finish due to the texture of the wood. Fabric can lie across the beams, which will mean that the structure can appear flat, and still house the PIR detectors.

I attempted to find appropriate fabric in a few different fabric shops, but was unable to find something that was suitable and reasonable priced. For this reason I considered using bed sheets, which would large in size, and also relatively cheap. I eventually found a suitable option from Matalan.



Once I had cut the elastic from the edge of the sheets I was able to staple the material to the structure, ensuring to keep it pulled tightly, therefore appearing flat. I hope that once this will prevent the structure from being completely visible, and will enhance the idea that the lights are dissecting the presentation environment. I think the fabric provides a good finish, something that would have been lower quality if I had used paint.



Unfortunately the PIR detectors did not work properly through the material and as a result I had to cut holes, allowing them to be exposed but consequently work correctly. I also had to cut holes to allow the light through the material.

No comments:

Post a Comment