Monday 16 February 2009

Magican Smoke Spray

Although I plan on testing different machines i.e. smoke/haze/dry ice, to see what will produce the best effect for the light to be reflected off and consequently produce a 'solid' column, I do not feel that I am yet at the appropriate stage for this. It is likely however that I will want to do some initial light test and as a result I have decided to purchase smoke spray.

Smoke spray is available from several effect shops, but also from Maplin who sell it as a disco lighting accessory as it increases the effect of disco lights. The smoke comes in cans that are capable of spraying for five minutes and will apparently fill a room for 1 to 2 hours, obviously depending on the size of the room. Although it is unlikely that I will use this smoke in the final presentation of the project it appears to offer an easy and relatively cheap option for testing.

Each can costs £5.99 from Maplin compared to £20 - £30 a day for the hire of a smoke/haze machine. This will also provide me with increased flexibility, as I won't have to perform all testing over a fixed time period, allowing me to try different methods and options as I see fit, something that would not be possible if I were to hire a smoke machine.

The spray is also completely safe, non-toxic and non-irritating, so offers a safe, flexible and cheap option for creating smoke during this initial phases of testing.

No comments:

Post a Comment