Monday 2 February 2009

Find an Expert

In order for this project to be truly successful I am aware that I will need to receive some outside help concerning the light and in particular how it could appear to bend. Although I am keen to research the subject myself I am uncertain that I will fully understand the topic properly as I don't think it will be a simple answer. I consequently feel that I will need somebody who is well learned in physics or optics.

As my University does not have a physics department I decided to start my search for an expert by contacting science outreach centers and by posting questions to science forums. One of the first institutions that I contacted was Ecsite Uk, which is an association for science and discovery centers, although they were not able to help me directly they suggested a few other places to contact, the Institute of Physics, Sciencemadesimple.com, and Neurophysiologist Beau Lotto, who has worked with light in the past. As well as considering these options I also contacted sciencemadesimple.com, which is a site that is dedicated to scientific research and explaining all aspects of science. Although I did not receive a response from all of the institutions that I contacted, Helen at Science made simple was kind enough to forward the e-mail on to the Physics department at Cardiff University and other mailing lists that she was on. From this I was contacted by three people, Henje Simmonds, Taj Bhutta, and Wolgang Langbein, who were all either students or professors of physics or optics. There was however a significant problem with each of these contacts, as they were predominately based in Cardiff and were all extremely busy people. This meant that all correspondence had to be made via e-mail, which meant that it was difficult to really explain my ideas, and also meant that communication was slow, especially considering the busy nature of the contacts. This consequently meant that communication began to break down, although they did pose some useful questions that forced me to consider important aspects of my project.

As a result I tried to find somebody that was closer to London that would be able to assist me.

No comments:

Post a Comment