Saturday 21 February 2009

Initial Tests Continued

The main purpose of these tests was to gain a better understanding of what is required to produce the final desired effect, and also to provide an preliminary understanding of how light works, and how this can be altered by introducing smoke. As mentioned earlier this was a simple test and would not provide a desirable beam.

This was a correct prediction, although the results were more impressive than first anticipated. The beam that was produced was surprisingly well structured appearing as a relatively solid beam. I have include some photographs of how the beam appeared, which i will explain as this entry progresses.

I began by testing the set-up with the torch positioned on the floor pointing up. I then blew smoke in the area of the light beam, and recorded the results as the smoke hit the beam.



As you can see the beam that was produced seemed to be in a relatively collimated form i.e. the same diameter all of the way down, which although i was using a spotlight torch I was not expecting.

Although having the light source located on the floor allowed for ease of movement etc, I decided that it would be more useful and potentially more realistic to the final product if the light was hung from the ceiling. This was made easier by the fact that there were wooden ceiling rudders located in the ceiling area. I was consequently able (with the use of a ladder) to tie several lengths of string over one of the rudders and hang the torch in a vertical position (as shown below).



I then repeated the same process as before, but also tried to increase the amount of smoke within the space, and consequently the solidity of the beam. The following photos highlight the results of this.











I then tried to attach a cover to the torch, to see is this would help to focus the beam more, or indeed cause the light to diffract more.



As I had previously thought the cardboard had simply caused the light to diffract causes the beam to spread more than it had previously.

I was pleased with how the beam had appeared during these tests, especially considering the equipment that I was using. These tests also allowed me to consider the project from a more practical stance whereas before I had mainly been considering the tasks from a theoretical viewpoint. The experiment brought forth many questions, that although I may have already considered, were not in the forefront of my mind. These including such things as how would the beam appear more solid? will smoke well enough to create a solid state? will the smoke move around too much during the exhibition? what will happen to light once a sensor has been broken? will the sensors be able to work considering the light conditions i.e. in the dark?

Although some of these questions are more important than others, I know that everyone will have to be answered if the project is to be successful, and appear as professional as I imagine. Further testing and research will enable me to hopeful answer all of the above, but at this stage I remain confidant about the project, although I am even more aware now that the task that lies a head is not an easy one.

No comments:

Post a Comment