Tuesday 28 April 2009

Introduce Sound?

Although I haven’t given the use of sound much consideration during the planning and production of the project, it is something that I would like to consider. I have worked with sound in sensory projects before this and it has always proven to be a valuable asset to the piece. Sound works extremely well in interactive pieces as it gives the user a clear indication that an action/input has been registered. For example, when a user of a computer uses a mouse, a press is acknowledged with a click noise. This is a sound that could be avoided, but is employed as it adds certainty to an action. If the click did not sound then the user could be left wondering if they had clicked adequately.

I am confident that the changes in light, whether colour or on/off, will highlight a change adequately. I like the idea of introducing sound, not only as a method of highlighting change, but also as it helps to engage more senses, making the piece more engrossing.

It is important however that the sound does not distract from the main ideas of the piece, which I still want to be fully focused on the light and how it reacts to touch. The introduction of sound will add a recognition system and another aspect to the relationship between the user and the installation.

As I have already mentioned I do not want the sound to detract from the lights. This means that the sound should be kept to a minimum, maybe introducing a single noise when movement is detected. This could be something as a simple as a click, a tap or knocking. It is a decision that I cannot jump into as although it won’t act as the main output of the installation it will still be extremely noticeable, and if it is the wrong sound it will change the entire dynamic of the piece.

I have also highlighted in earlier entries the interactive aspect of the project is extremely integral to the work, and this is something that could be depicted with the choice of sound. One of predominant ideas that has featured in all of my work since working with new media has been to investigate different methods of computer control, rather than simple using a mouse and a keyboard. As I have mentioned a mouse click is an important method of recognition for a user, as it highlights that a command has been registered. I think it would be quite effective to use this sound within the installation. The sound will play every time that motion is detected.

No comments:

Post a Comment