Wednesday 22 April 2009

USB DMX controller interface

Although DMX can be controlled using a DMX controller, I need the system to be able to be pre-programmed using Visual Basic, and consequently need a method of connecting the DMX lights to a PC. I was informed by the lighting company that I hired the lights from that such converters do exist. Following a quick search I discovered that Maplin stock a controller, but it does not come assembled. However, I was certain that this component would be vital to the installation, as I would not be able to control the lights without it.



Specifications:
- connected and powered through USB
- 512 DMX channels with 256 levels each
- 3 pin XLR-DMX output connector
- optional 9V battery needed for stand alone test mode
- solid state - fuse protection on DMX output
- dimensions: 106 x 101 x 44.5mm / 4.2 x 4 x 1.75"

http://www.velleman.be/downloads/0/illustrated/illustrated_assembly_manual_k8062_rev3.pdf

The DMX controller converts the signals and commands that the PC sends through USB into a format that the lights can understand. Without the controller the lights would not be able to understand the signals that are sent from the computer. As mentioned the the unit comes with test software, as well as a DLL (Dynamic Link Library) library of code that can be loaded and linked into the executing program, which means that the DMX controller can be called upon without having to program it yourself.

This unit had everything that I would need in order to make it work within the installation, the only problem that it would pose was concerning the soldering aspect, something that I have not done for years. I was confident however, that following some practice I would be able to sufficiently solder in order to connect everything to the circuit board. As well as practicing my soldering techniques I need to get on with the software side of the project, which is now the main focus for the remainder of the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment