Friday 17 April 2009

Change in Lights: Goodbye Motors

I have recently been in Cheltenham, as I find it easier to work there. However, I was aware that I would need to do some further testing, and begin to make final decision, adjustments and amendments concerning the lights. As the lights that I was planning to use are located in London, I decided to try and locate some in the local area. Whilst discussing this with a firm called 'New Day' I was informed that they had a DMX controlled follow spot in stock. This was something that I had not heard of before; I was under the impression that all follow spots were manually operated. Although I have been planning to use motors to move filters across the face of a follow spot, it sounded like a DMX controlled system would be easier to use, program and would greatly reduce construction time, as it would mean that I would not have to spend hours aligning and positioning motors. Although I was not certain that DMX could be controlled in Visual Basic, the programming language that I am using throughout this project, I decided that these lights would be worth a closer inspection. I was informed that the lights were Chauvet Followspot 400g.

Once I had actually seen the lights, tested them, and talked the ideas through with the staff at New Day I was confident that this would be a better option for the installation than the manually operated follow spot that I had planned to use before hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment