Wednesday 28 January 2009

Olafur Eliasson: The Weather Project

As with some of the other projects that I have considered, it is not the necessarily the subject matter of Eliasson's 'Weather Project', but instead the presentation and ambience of the work that is relevant to my work.




This project is linked to Eliasson’s fascination with the way museums mediate the reception of art. In a museum, visitors are offered an array of information before they even see a work of art from the marketing poster and press reviews to the interpretation text panel on the walls of the gallery. Eliasson recognises that this information influences the experience and understanding of the work. In this project he decided to direct these less overt aspects of making an exhibition, so that the experience of the work would be left as unscathed as possible for the viewer. This is something that I have always been a believer in, especially concerning sensory work that I have been involved. I think that it better to explore the senses without any prerequisites or ideas, consequently allowing for a more enriched exploration. This is an interesting theory that will be explored further when considering interaction.

Eliasson decided to expose the structure and apparatus behind The Weather Project, stating that, ‘The benefit in disclosing the means with which I am working is that it enables the viewer to understand the experience itself as a construction and so, to a higher extent, allow them to question and evaluate the impact this experience has on them.’ This is something however that I do not want to be apparent in my work, instead favoring a more concealed option. I have decided to try and avoid exposing the mechanics behind the project as I don't want to distract from the exploration and focus on the columns of light, which I feel would happen if the wiring and equipment were on show.

No comments:

Post a Comment